Thursday, August 23, 2007

All Over the World in One Day

August 20, 2007

It might just have been one down day here in Honduras, but today I traveled to different countries and cities through conversations with loved ones, new friends, and memories that captivate my senses and take me back in time to other lands.

Charleston, SC: A morning conversation with Grace brightened my day. To hear her chipper voice on the other end of the phone made me feel as though she was right there and that we could have been laughing about the silliest thing just minutes earlier. I remembered days in Charleston spent with Grace eating yummy food and watching hours upon hours of House.

Valles de Angelles, Honduras: On winding paths through breathtaking scenery, we scaled and dipped deep into the valleys of the rugged mountains of Honduras. The mountains stretch further than the eye can see and tiny towns are scattered throughout the paths that take us to our destination. It is hands down one of my favorite parts of Honduras. I just stare out the window gawking at the majesty of nature.

Cuba: In our lunch date with Cardinal Oscar Andres Rodriguez, we were humbled by his down to earth manner and kind welcoming manner. And yet, we traveled to Cuba in his stories of banquets he had shared with Fidel Castro, a joyful and extremely intelligent man (as described by the Cardinal). We joked about Cuban cigars and learned of the prideful, yet kind and charismatic nature of Castro.

Guatemala City, Guatemala: On our drive to Tegucigalpa, we passed a Pollo Campero and I was suddenly back in Guatemala being covered in dirt and grime after a long days work. The succulent smell of fried, unhealthy chicken filled my nose and memories of friends who share my love for Guatemala flooded my mind. I was back in the country and in the experience that laid the foundation for me being here.

Charlotte, NC: Once we had arrived in Tegucigalpa, I found myself literally in South Park mall. I do not exaggerate when I say this mall had Lacoste, Tony Ramas, and a food court that included Wendys, Burger King, Sbarro, and Church’s chicken. It was such a strange, strange feeling. I had been transported into the first world in the midst of a bustling third world capital. High heel shoes that I would have loved just months ago now just seem so unpractical.

Marietta, GA: Once the mall had been conquered, we went on our first bulk grocery shopping trip to the Honduran version of Costo. I may as well have been in Marietta on Barrett Parkway like six or seven years ago when I first moved to America. We shopped at Costco a lot and it was just like it—apart from the fact that I was spending someone else’s money and that I finally I got to buy a 36 count box of Twix bars.

Charlotte, NC: On our way home, we got a flat. I have only ever been in a car when there was a flat before and it was at night in Charlotte. Just as difficulties occurred in Charlotte like a big crack (a lucky crack even) in the pavement where the car was parked and so forth, many a problem occurred here too. Not only were we stuck on the road at night (equals dangerous) but the spare tire was locked underneath the car and no key was to be found. Needless to say, we made it out in one piece with a new tire on and no one harmed and an experience to recount to others—just like in Charlotte.

Talanga, Honduras: And suddenly after a day away from Talanga, I was relived to be welcomed by the rocky, dusty roads and to come home to our newly cleaned home. Yes, it is becoming my home. As we entered Talanga, we passed through the market that I walked with the Eucharistic minister on Sunday, we passed the baleada lady who sells us delicious dinners and sometimes late night snacks, we passed the church of beauty and simplicity and finally we arrived home—to our slightly dusty, very clean and work in progress house. Yes, it will be home soon.

My mind has been everywhere today. Though some of these memories so joyful in themselves make me crave the places and people I love, they have begun to sustain me in my frustrations and bring a smile to my face and a thank you for being blessed enough to travel all over the world in one small day.

No comments: